Skip to main content

1861 Update - Colonel Pettigrew

Dear Sally,

          As you probably know President Lincoln called for 75,000 volunteers. I have to be here to support our side. I know that all of the northern  states had a good response to this request.  I have seen both positive and negative editorials on his request. The first casualties have occurred although they did not occur on the battlefield but in the city of BaltimoreSoldiers from Massachusetts were marching towards Washington, D.C. when a group of citizens tried to stop their march. Shots were fired from both sides, resulting in eleven deaths. This makes me very happy because this proves President Lincoln will have difficulties recruiting troops from the so-called border states. 

I will be home as soon as I can,
Fitzhugh Johnston Pettigrew

Comments