Skip to main content

Letter to Family about Enlistment of George Otott, 1861

Dear Millicent, 
        I hope all is well with the children and with the plantation. The camp here is not as warm as our home, but the spirits of the men about to battle for their lifestyle lights fires no amount of springtime rain can put out. I know that my enlistment was sudden and shocking, but that dreadful Lincoln has put together a mass army of 75,000 men. While I will miss running the plantation, I need to fight to make sure the slaves stay on the plantations where they belong. This fight is to bring back the simple, well-working ways of previous years, where we are in power and slaves work for us, under us. While it is unfortunate that the Northerners and their abolitionists, with their twisted ways of thinking, have caused us to resort to such violence. The Confederacy is strong and willing to fight, we are well armed with artilleries and batteries. With such weapons, we will cause the North to surrender just like we succeeded in doing when we took possession of Fort Sumter.  The Confederate army has the boldest, best-trained generals, who come from West Point and other successful academies. My dear, do not fret for when the time is right I will come home unscathed and unwounded, and the South will have come back with very few casualties and we will have our slaves. 

Comments